If you have never tried Kale Chips (or even if you have), I have got the perfect recipe for you! I made this super easy version two times last week and again yesterday. I am officially hooked! Even my toddler likes them and if you know how picky she is, this says A LOT. The key here is to make sure they are extra crispy. You don’t want them to be wet at all before adding the oil and seasonings or they just won’t crisp up well. I personally think the Parmesan cheese sprinkle fresh out of the oven really gives it something extra!
1 bag or head of kale, washed and thoroughly dried
2-3 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt to taste
2 cloves of garlic (garlic powder will work just fine)
Everything but the ELOTE seasoning blend from Trader Joe’s (optional but in my opinion, necessary!) to taste
Parmesan cheese to top (1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove ribs from kale (these will hold moisture). Be careful not to cut the leaves too small because they will shrink up in the oven. 1-2 inches in size is perfect!
- Add kale leaves into a large bowl. Pour and massage the olive oil into the kale leaves (this will help them crisp up when the oil is evenly distributed).
- Add garlic, sea salt and ELOTE seasoning blend (if you want to substitute the ELOTE seasoning blend, it consists of salt, chili pepper, cheese, chipotle and cumin).
- Massage the kale again with all the seasoning now on it. Add more oil, if needed.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Make sure to spread the kale onto tray in an even layer; use two trays if necessary.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Turn and toss the leaves around and return to oven for another 10-15 minutes. It’s important to keep a close eye on the kale towards the end, as it will crisp up and burn easily!
- Remove from oven and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Eat right away or leave out to crisp up more and bag after to enjoy later! (Mine never lasts long enough to save for later though!)
If you make one of our recipes, be sure to tag us on social media and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you all! #LLNRecipe